Position: Research Associate/Research Assistant
Topic: Managing Resources for Sustainable Development in Southeast Asia (MR4SD) Research Group
Salary range: Competitive salary with benefits, commensurate with experience and qualifications. SEI reserves the right to appoint at a lower level, if appropriate.
Start date: As soon as possible, however, not later than early October is expected.
Contract period: 24 months renewable contract with 6-month probation period
Duty station: Bangkok, Thailand
Application deadline: 15 August 2013
The Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) seeks a Research Associate to assist in undertaking research and coordination on projects relating to biophysical processes and the conditions that enable sustainable land, water and energy management considering uncertain future climate conditions.
The appointee will be working with colleagues in the MR4SD research group at Asia Centre in Bangkok and SEI colleagues worldwide. The appointee will be responsible for carrying out library and internet searches; conducting literature reviews and preparing bibliographies; assisting in proposal preparation; contributing to planning and implementation of fieldwork; recording; collating and analyzing data; preparing project documentation and reports; preparing scientific papers; and other tasks depending on the skills and background of the appointee.
The Research Associate/Research Assistant will report directly to the MR4SD Research Group Leader and specific project leader/manager and under overall supervision by the Centre Director of SEI in Asia.
- Masters-level degree in relevant subject, e.g. agricultural or environmental engineering, physical geography, geo-ecology, hydrology, environmental studies or other fields related to land and water resources.
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for doing scientific research.
- Good background in, and ability to apply, quantitative approaches, statistics and numerical modeling (e.g. hydrological model, ecosystem model), as well as quantitative GIS/RS methods (e.g. spatial data).
- Good understanding of the concept of environmental sustainability.
- Experience in field data collection.
- Demonstrated record of oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration, partnership and team building and the desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- At least 3 years of research experience in the Mekong River region
- Experience in communicating complex concepts and information to a range of different audiences.
- Interest in working at the interface with social science and policy engagement, and qualitative approaches.
- Knowledge of a Southeast Asian language is desirable.
- Knowledge of a programming or scripting language is an advantage.
How to apply
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience, what appeals to you about this job, and how you envision your work at SEI (max. 2 pages).
- Curriculum vitae, including major projects led (with an emphasis on Southeast Asia region), publications, three professional references who will be contacted only if short-listed (max. 8 pages), and current and expected salary (in Thai baht/month).
- 2 to 3 samples of publications of which you are the lead author.
Application will be acknowledged. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.